Learning objectives of the study unit:
• understands the importance of well-functioning urban infrastructure
• has an understanding of the sustainability related to urban development
• understands the main challenges that the urban areas are facing and is aware of the existing tools to tackle these challenges
Course content, topics, main reference and the assignment in the course:
The main course reference is Peter Newman and Isabella Jennings book from 2008, “Cities as Sustainable Ecosystems: Principles and Practises”
To complete the course please read the whole book:
The assignment is an individual essay with oral Power Point presentation at a Teams seminar:
1) First write a short summary (2 pages) reflecting on the content of the whole book.
2) Then choose 2 chapters and write how they could be applied in a city of your own
choice for example your home town or a larger city of your own choice.What are the problems and how could they be solved with help of the book? Please use international references and write your own text. The essay should be around 8-10 pages and be written according to Novias instructions for scientific writing.
The course is 100% virtual, will be supported by a specific Moodle site and also regular Team meetings, which means that you can study at any place in the world where you have access to a computer and the Internet and are able to join Teams meetings.
Timetable and target group of students:
Last application 24th of February 2021. The course is for 5 – 30 students and given Campus Online for students studying at Universities and Universities of Applied Sciences in Finland.
The duration of the course is 3rd of March 2021 (Course introduction, Teams meeting) until April 21st 2021 (Final oral project presentations at a seminar and evaluation in Teams)
The course will be graded fail/pass and all assignments and projects must be completed and approved with written reports and oral presentations during Team meetings for the final grade.
Lars Fridefors, email@example.com +358-44-7603730
If you have problems in signing up for this course, please contact