The Farm Manager's Guide to Risk and Safety, 5 ECTS (10th of February – 7th of April 2022)
is the third course of a study unit of 3 separate courses.
The previous courses are:
The Farm Manager's Practical Leadership, (15th September -15th December 2021)
The Farm Manager's Intercultural Communication, 5 ECTS (8th of December 2021–8th of March 2022)
You apply to each course separately, and the courses are independent of each other.
The Farm Manager's Guide to Risk and Safety, 5 ECTS
Everyone who wants to become better at handling risks and safety, especially people who work or plan to work as Farm Managers.
Competences and content of the course:
The student will achieve the following list of competencies during the course:
- uses plans and documented processes for safe production
- applies sustainable recruitment and introduction to work tasks
- employs risk assessment and implements risk management
- integrates the central legislation on occupational safety
- shows a positive attitude towards risk handling and occupational safety.
English, Finnish and Swedish can be used in the assignments and in part of the discussions and in counselling.
No prior knowledge required
- Use of safe work methods for every work task
- Introduction of personnel to for example equipment, machinery, animal handling, buildings and silos
- Quality system thinking
- Silos and gases
- Backups and Stand ins – Why are they so important?
- The Farm Manager’s documentation system.
Mode of delivery:
Online studies with at least two common sessions with lectures and all students in the study group. Project work in small teams and team meetings.
Lectures, field studies, individual assignments, projects, literature studies, online meetings with group discussions, and written discussions in the learning platform Moodle
Study teams to support each other’s learning, assignments, projects, and development as Farm Manager.
Workload 27 h / credit, totally 135 h.
Students need access to a computer or pad with internet connection, headphones, a microphone, and a webcam.
Assignments and evaluation:
Home exams during the course and individual development work or development work in teams, deadline by the end of the course.
75€, Read more about costs for Open UAS students: https://www.novia.fi/studies/open-uas/
Lecturer Lars Fridefors, firstname.lastname@example.org + 358 44 762 3730